What is different about a high bounce trampoline mat?
Kids are having so much fun on trampolines at this present point in time. With the arrival of trampoline parks and so many new housing estates with very small back yards, it is easy to see how this has come about. There is little else that can be put in a back garden for the kids that will use up the energy and enable creative ideas to flow as a trampoline does. The added accessories help, but for the actual trampoline, if the bounce is great then the kids really will want to use it more. It means they are more likely to stay outside longer, get stronger and fitter, sleep better, can do better in school, have better relationships, etc.... actually some of this is anecdotal, but we do know the first three for sure from first hand experience.
If kids tire quickly due to poor bounce, from either the shape of the trampoline or the size of it compared to the child; then considering a trampoline with a high bounce mat or different springs options might just be what you are ready to invest in for the long term for your family.
Compared to the standard mat, a high bounce mat enables:
- Higher bounce heights to be achieved.
- Less effort to reach the same height.
- Longer jumping sessions for the same effort.
Heavy Duty, High Strength, Extra Bouncy
Compatible with the Web and Warehouse and GeeTramp rectangle trampolines only, in the following sizes 8x12ft, 9x14ft, 10x17ft and 14x16ft.
- World leading Tencate™ Permatron® Trampoline mat (USA company).
- Black woven polypropylene mesh ("poly"), similar material as supplied with the standard mat on our new trampolines, enabling long-term maintenance for outdoor use.
- Unique weave and tension compared to the standard mat.
- Anti-graze finish whereby the individually woven strands have a hot rolled flat finish (less abrasive).
- Thermally interlocked fibers for a smooth and stable ability to handle constant flexing.
- The mat includes the hooks for the spring to attach to.
- Designed to be directly compatable with the earlier standard springs and the current HD springs on the 8x12ft and 9x14ft.
- A change of spring diameter is required for the best bounce for the 10x17ft and 14x16ft.
What percentage of benefit is there to the user?
We have done extensive control testing with statics test weights of 50kg, 65kg, and 75kg.
The average benefit was an increase in bounce height as follows:
- 8x12ft : 25-30%
- 9x14ft : 20-25%
- 10x17ft : 15-20%, a spring change to HD springs is required to achieve this. ("HD" = Heavy Duty, has fatter coil diameter)
- 14x16ft : 10-15%, a spring change to HD springs is required to achieve this. ("HD" = Heavy Duty, has fatter coil diameter)
Who benefits most from the high bounce mat?
- All kids and adults who want an easier more responsive bounce, will want to get the high bounce mat options we offer.
- If the kids are into flips, then you have the peace of mind by being able to get the greater height, they will have more time to do their multi-spin and flips before coming back down to the mat.
- The height helps to reduce their risk of necking, however need to bare in mind that it can also encourage them to progress to the next stage, e.g. from say doubles to triples.
We have found that kids under nine years are the least likely to notice the difference on the 9x14ft and it will depend on their weight and also their confidence/jumping styles. This age group have been a little difficult to work out. Some can tell instantly the difference, others have no idea there is a difference in the mats.
However, its more certain that the kids over 9 years old can tell the difference. (these kids will benefit the most from the change of spring option to Australian Galvanised springs with the high bounce mat)
For the 8x12ft, about 70% of customers choose to get a high bounce mat. Most kids tend to get a very nice bounce out of this size regardless of the mat.
For the 9x14ft about 75% of customers choose to get the high bounce mat. Any kids wanting height and good bounce or want to bounce for a long time will choose the high bounce mat option. (the younger and lighter they are, the more likely it is that they will want the Australian Galvanized springs too as they are a more responsive spring for kids 35-55kg)
For the 10x17ft about 80% of customers will get the high bounce mat. Kids of all ages notice the difference between the two. Again the tumblers or cheerleaders who don't need to get height are more inclined to go with the standard mat and all others will choose (if the offer is there by the parents) to have the high bounce mat. It is also very common for families with kids after height and who are still quite light, to choose the Australian Galvanised springs as well (up to 70kg if their main focus is height). On the other hand cheergirls who are used to doing routines on a spring floor, can find Australian Galvanised springs too bouncy for what they are wanting to achieve).
14x16ft, about 80% of customers will get the high bounce mat. When introducing the high bounce mat option back in 2017, we had a group of 14 boys and 2 girls come to a meet up to try it out, all of them were very positive about the noticable bounce difference. The boys were a wide range of ages from 8 to 17 years old and the 2 girls were under 40kg and it was much loved by all. If jumping a lot on your own on a 14x16ft, you are better off with a high bounce mat as it will be a lot less fatiguing (at any body weight) compared to a standard mat. We have since introduced the Australian Galvanised springs as another option, so there are now 2 different spring options that can go with the high bounce mat, both spring options are popular.
What is the difference to the material?
- Our high bounce mats feature a unique weave that allows more airflow through the mat.
- Better airflow enables a much more responsive and higher bounce
- All of our trampoline mats use TenCate Permatron® material (TenCate is a USA based company). It has been proven over many years to be the best affordable material for trampoline mats due to its incredible strength, durability and high UV resistance.
- If looking at Standard and High Bounce trampolines side by side it is very difficult to see any difference in the mats, they look very similar.
- If standing on the trampoline mat looking down the difference is self evident, you can see through the high bounce mat and can tell that the grass is green / can see the trampoline legs below clearer.
- This highlights that the visual differences between a standard and high bounce mat is ever so slight.
Olympic Trampoline Mats - Competition Grade Trampolines
- The material used in a true Olympic trampoline or any gymnastics competition grade trampoline mat is significantly different.
- These mats are usually made from woven "string" mats, this is visually very different to the domestic black "poly" mat.
- Due to the open weave of (4-8mm+ per square), the airflow through the mat is pretty well un restricted and this allows more of the energy from your jump to go back into the rebounding bounce, this means you can get higher quicker.
- The heights achieved can be insane and often inappropriate for young kids or inexperienced users in a domestic situation.
- Because of this, these mats are recomended with suitable supervisors when in use.
- To enable long life for outdoors use, the string material usually requires regular painting.
- The price point is outside most family budgets and usually only available in the larger trampoline sizes (which limits use in most modern back yards).
- Those who have grown up with one know how lucky they are to have one.
- The feel of these mats is more abrasive than a black "poly" mat, however you can adapt and get used to it.
- The frames are usually customised to suit the string mat, this means string mats do not normally retrofit onto frames designed for black "poly" mats.
- We are not aware of any trampoline with string mat (world wide) that comes with a net enclosure, it is something we have been developing though.
- We have a woven professional mat option for a 9x14ft trampoline.
Can you have High Bounce mat on a round trampoline?
- We are asked this a lot, however, after a lot testing we found the benefit to be not great at all.
- 5% maximum improvement achieved. Just not worth the investment to develop this out to the market.
Note: Our High Bounce mat is an improvement on a standard mat, but doesn't offer the extreme heights of the very high-end string mats that some gymnasiums use. This string mat's capability could be considered dangerous without the appropriate training and supervision that gymnasiums provide, therefore these not recomended for most in a backyard setting.
If you would like to discuss this further with us to clarify anything please feel free to call us on 03 52921100 or message here. Please scroll down for further articles relating to trampoline mats and bounce.